Downsizing is hardly anybody’s first option. Whether it’s because your kids have grown up and moved out, or you simply need a more affordable house payment, downsizing can be stressful in more ways that one. Here are some tips to help make the transition from big to smaller as smooth as possible.
- De-clutter. I always say, if you haven’t used it or worn it in the past 6 months, throw it out! Of course, you don’t always have to throw it away, you can donate or even sell your used clothes or items for extra cash, but you get what I mean.
- Yard Sale!! Yard Sales are an excellent way to get rid of old junk that’s been lying around your home for years. I say get rid of anything that hasn’t been touched in 6 months or more. If it was really something you needed, you probably would’ve used it in the past six months. Plus, that extra money can go towards your new home!
- Sell larger furniture and buy smaller pieces with the money you make. You can do this in a yard sale of course but another great option is through apps like LetGo, 5Miles, and even Facebook marketplace. If it’s a nicer piece of furniture with little wear and tear, you can usually get close to what you originally paid for it and that money can go toward buying a smaller piece that fits better in your new home.
- Trade in bulky items (like headboards, sofas, and entertainment centers), for sleeker, smaller and more minimalistic designs. You’d be surprised the space difference when you trade in a bulky, tall wooden entertainment center for a smoother, wider one.
- Use large plastic totes to store seasonal items such as Christmas ornaments, winter clothes, and pool supplies. They take up little space and are easy to label and sort through.
- Try a different room and/or furniture setup. Feng Shui is a real thing y’all! Even just moving your bed to the other side of the room has the ability to completely open up the space making it appear bigger than it is.
- Rent a storage unit for must haves that just don’t fit in your new home. Most storage units are reasonably priced and give you the option of holding onto those things that you simply don’t have room for in your new space. We are running a great special right now where if you choose us for your move, we are offering one free month of storage in our facility. Just something to think about 😉
We know downsizing is never fun, especially if it’s going from very large to very small. But hopefully these tips will help make the transition easier on everyone!